Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sign language, Politics, and Cherishing our Culture

By the Tortoise (former Team A)

For the Evening Program, we had an American Sign Language (ASL) night where leaders portrayed their storytelling skills. There were four categories; A-Z or 1-10 story, ASL jokes, hand shapes, and ASL story/poetry. All the teams, Outlets, E, A, and D had to perform all four categories against each other in front of three judges, Jon Kessel, Mickie Brunton, and a special guest, Howard Rosenblum, the CEO of National Association of the Deaf (NAD).
Everybody actually loved ASL night! There were stories and jokes that made us laugh really hard and some blew us away! It was a night where everybody came together and shared one common language: ASL! Special thanks to our co-chairpersons, Ashley Pabon and Aaron Kellogg, for hosting this exciting event and making it successful!
            - Casey Johnson-Pasqua

Yesterday, we had a guest speaker named Howard Rosenblum come to YLC and give a brief presentation on the history of NAD. As an active lawyer, Howard spent over 20 years fighting in promoting equality in the deaf and hard of hearing community. In 2010, Howard left his career doing legal work as an individual and joined the NAD. However, as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NAD, he continues to do legal work, seeking equality for deaf and hard of hearing individuals.  The only difference is he – currently -has a team of deaf lawyers, as well as the deaf and hard of hearing community, assisting him with pursuing the mission of the NAD. “Instead of complaining to each other, we should take action,” said Rosenblum.
Personally as a future lawyer, I felt very connected with his entire presentation. Deaf-rights advocates are persistent with how they try to convey their message. Howard delivered his speech very eloquently. He did not use opinions, but facts to prove his point. For example, in the 1960s, there was only one deaf lawyer, but in 1990s, the number skyrocketed to 30 simply because a law passed requiring all federal law schools to provide an interpreter.
Before YLC, I was unsure about my career because I did not want to have to deal with lousy court-appointed interpreters. After sitting through Howard’s workshop, he inspired me to always pursue my dreams, no matter how many obstacles I know I may have to overcome. It is always good to be reminded that deaf people truly can do anything they set their mind upon.
- Rachel Soudakoff

            When I arrived at YLC, I was filled with anxiety because I have not introduced myself to anyone. I also did not imagine how it would be a rich experience for me to be part of YLC. After arriving here, I did not realize how many friends I actually met in couple of days. Many special events and workshops have influenced me because I never thought about different situations and struggles I would encounter in daily life.  There was a special presentation that impacted me the most, which was about the NAD by Howard Rosenblum, the current CEO of NAD. He also explained the details about the various facts, such as NAD, deaf community, philosophy, politics, and predicaments. They contributed by adjusting the laws that associate with technology, communication, and deaf rights.
Before the presentation, I was not particularly sure if NAD would be beneficial in the deaf community. However, I was wrong because I had not enhanced my knowledge about NAD and understanding how important it is to have equal access. With that being said, we have to learn as much as we can before we return back home.
-                    -  Zachary Davenport
Debate time!

Leaders at classes!

Our ASLnight judges: Mickie Brunton, Jon Kessel, and CEO of NAD
Howard Rosenblum. 

The trio from Outlets performing A-Z!

Ashley Kingston is using one and five hand-shape!

Kenneth Peters onstage!

Howard Rosenblum and his workshop. 

It's Jessica Rademacher's birthday! 

Happy birthday, Jessica! Enjoy the ice cream cake!

Rosenblum at our Fireside Chat!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel... way to go on your thoughts and glad that you have affirmed your dreams... more to come at Stanford after your YLC experience!!!

    ReplyDelete